Sunday, February 21, 2010

Death and Kiki

There's a new exhibit at the Brooklyn museum showcasing Kiki Smith's latest work. I desperately want to see it but don't want to pay the admission fee. I am mesmerized by all things Kiki Smith. We go waaayy back, since I was a pre-teen. Interestingly enough her collection of work is about death and the perceptions of death and funeral rituals in our culture. I am currently taking a class that has covered this taboo topic. It is particularly shocking what happens to some deceased bodies and how severely obsessed and deranged some scientists and medical practitioners are about experimenting with dead bodies in the name of "educating the public". It's all too much for me! But before I get carried away with that,
I'll get back to Kiki.


Did I mention I love her work and really would like to see this show? Too bad so many of my friends are flakes and probably would not see it with me, not to mention I don't want to pay the admission fee. Huhhh what a life.... If you get the chance, see it for me and tell me it was as amazing as I thought it would be pretty please??

4 comments:

lala said...

patrick, it's angela. fyi the brooklyn museum is free every first saturday of the month. next date is april 3, we should go ;)

Patrick said...

Yes Yes Yes!! I cannot wait!

Kelly Burgess said...

Hi Patrick! Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog... I've only just started posting so it is nice to know someone is out there, somewhere. :)

Kelly Burgess said...

Patrick - Boston is lovely. HOWEVER, I don't know anyone (aside from my boyfriend's parents) who can afford to live in the city. Everyone I know enjoys it from afar, taking the train in or walking a few miles. NY has Brooklyn, which is its own entity, a mini-city, but Boston is just surrounded by weird suburbs. Allston is where there are cheap college apartments/hipsters, Brighton is where there are cheap young professional apartments/a few houses, Brookline is predominantly Jewish/expensive/gorgeous, and it goes on. I currently live in Brighton, away from the train, on a few bus routes, not really near anything at all. It really bums me out. The transit system here is terrible, parking is a nightmare, and rents are (or were) on par with SF, which is ridiculous.

That said, the city is gorgeous. It's full of young people, the trees are blooming right now, there are picnics in the common, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is fantastic, Boston is small enough to be able to walk back and forth across many times a day with no problem, and the cobblestone brownstone streets are some of my favorite. Unfortunately, I don't hang out there nearly enough!