Friday, February 12, 2010

Letting go and Losing

Elizabeth Bishop, a great poet, says it brilliantly: "the art of losing is not hard to master". Sometimes, more often than not, I feel so lost in this world. I try hard to find a place, a real friend, comfort in everyday life, to be happy with my daily routine. I find myself lost; lost in conversations, in people, in vague feelings that overwhelm me.

What Elizabeth Bishop failed to mention is that losing almost always leads to some gaining. What can be gained from this, from these experiences, from this loss or suffering? I had a very insightful conversation about suffering in the world with a friend. It is all around us. It is a part of life. But so much is gained and learned from life's catastrophes, no matter how great or small. It could be losing something as small as a pair of gloves (which I did a week ago but now cannot afford a new pair until next week). Okay so I didn't gain much from losing the gloves but it did lead me to this thought.

Something similar happened this morning, a small loss in a way. I got up early to catch the school's shuttle bus but somehow waiting longer than I needed to, I looked down the window to watch it drive away. I gulped at first, but then I thought about the next thing to do. I was no longer anxious. It became a good and effortless morning afterwards. I wish I could view everything that happens horribly in my life this way. Somehow for it to be easier to accept when things are not going the way I want them to. It is so much easier said than done. But look at Bishop! She lost both parents, grandparents that raised her, and many lovers! She was so strong. She helps me believe that even in moments like those, there is something to believe in, even if only acceptance of the situation. So believe! And enjoy my animation!

The art of losing from patrick anderson on Vimeo.

No comments: